Listed in Government & Regulation
Microchipping Information for Authorised Implanters
The Domestic Animals Act 1994and Domestic Animals Regulations 2015 restrict who can implant permanent identification devices (microchips) in Victoria, and place restrictions on what devices can be used and how the procedure is carried out.
Requirements for implanting a permanent identification device (microchip) in Victoria
It is an offence to implant a permanent identification device unless:
- The person is an authorised implanter; and
- If the person is not a veterinarian they must also:
- be acting under the supervision of and be employed by a veterinarian (who is an authorised implanter); or
- acting under supervision of a veterinarian (who is an authorised implanter) who has agreed in writing to supervise that person; and
- The device is a prescribed permanent identification device.